Kfardebian

Kfardebian, one of the largest towns in Lebanon, lies in the heights of Keserwan Mountain and rises between 900 and 2800 meters above sea level, on a 40 square kilometer area, with a population of 12,000. It is a 44 kilometer and 27 kilometer drive from Beirut and Jounieh respectively.

It is an active hub during the Summer and the Winter for it is the destination of the coast inhabitants who want to enjoy its mild weather, and of the skiing enthusiasts who want to enjoy their hobby in Faqra and Ouyoun el Siman. It is well known by its agricultural products and honey. It is characterized by its abundant water that supplies the town from several springs such as el Laban and el Asal.

It can be reached by taking the Beirut Jounieh highway, then turning right after Nahr el Kalb up towards Feytroun, then turning right towards Kfardebian.

The name Kfardebian was derived from the Semitic language, and it may be originated in the Syriac language, meaning “The Town of Deers”.

The history of the town goes way back to an era that is still obscure, the archeological and historical origins being unavailable to us. It played a special role in the modern era, for it became the center of the High Mountains Area in the Moutasarrifiya era (1860- 1914).

Its first municipality was founded in 1900 and was considered the first municipality in the Keserwan Mountain. The ruins of Faqra, the traditional Lebanese houses, the old and new bridges, and the remaining mills in the Valley of the Cross are good evidence showing the importance of the town and its rich historical origins.

Kfardebian contains currently 4500 houses, 15 churches and convents most of which were built between the sixteenth and twentieth century, two schools, six sport clubs, guesthouses, a medical center, two pharmacies, a post office, a police station, and several restaurants, hotels, stores and small plants that specialize in the agricultural and animal products.